APRIL 14 UPDATE: FACE MASKS FOR CRAVEN
- During the first week of April, volunteers with CCDRA (Craven Co. Disaster Recovery Alliance) conducted a preliminary needs assessment with over 25 community agencies to evaluate need for community support in providing reusable face masks for their workers. Nineteen agencies voiced a need for help in protecting their workers!
- CCDRA, in collaboration with Neuse Forest Presbyterian Church, mobilized a group of volunteers to begin production of reusable cloth face masks that contain an approved filtration layer.
- Between April 8 and today, April 14, nearly 600 reusable cloth face masks have been distributed to nine community agencies! Agencies receiving face masks include Emergency Management (for volunteer EMT’s and firefighters), Hospice, two assisted living facilities, and numerous in-home health care agencies.
- Based on our survey, Face Masks for Craven is working to provide another 1500 face masks to those agencies we have identified as needing our help.
- Our group of volunteers has grown from an initial group of fewer than 20 to an amazing group of over 100 individuals!
- To facilitate coordination, we now have a distribution center open three days a week in the New Hope Village, housed at Neuse Forest Presbyterian Church, 2011 Old Cherry Point Road, New Bern. Current hours for the distribution center are 10:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.
- To succeed in serving those workers in key community agencies serving vulnerable populations, we need more help. Those interested in joining our work by helping cut fabric, sew masks, and other tasks are encouraged to stop by our distribution center or contact CCDRA at (252)571.2976 or email@example.com. For those who wish to donate money to help defray the expense of this project, checks may be mailed to Neuse Forest Presbyterian Church, Att: Sharon DeCamp, 911 Highland Ave., New Bern 28562.
- Our aim is to deliver at least 500 face masks a week over the coming weeks. To achieve this goal, we must act quickly.
- Remember, Compassion can be viral, too!
TO DONATE OR VOLUNTEER VISIT WWW.CRAVENDRA.ORG!